Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Channeling Rosie: A Tid-Bit Too Long For Twitter

On Saturday afternoon, I popped on over to The Strand to pick-up Val McDermid's THE DISTANT ECHO.  Val is speaking at the Center for Fiction this evening and I wanted a signable book to bring along.

When I got off the subway, I was walking along the sidewalk, toting my new red Strand bag, when I overheard a little girl say to her mom, "Rosie died, Mom."

That's when things got a little weird.

Firstly, the calmness in the little girl's voice as she informed her mother of death was creey in and of itself.

Secondly, let me tell you what THE DISTANT ECHO is about...

Four inseparable young men. One defiled dead woman.
They discovered her. They're covered in her blood. They are the only suspects.
Twenty-five years later, no one has been arrested for her murder.
Four lives have been tainted by suspicion and gossip.
One person decides to seek revenge.
 
Please note, the dead woman's name is Rosie Duff.

So, here I am walking down the sidewalk with my Rosie-Duff-got-murdered book in my Strand bag - which was in no way see-through - and as I pass by this little girl, she says to her mom, "Rosie died, Mom."

How did she know?

Coincidence. It must have been, right?

But think about it, what are the chances that a little girl is calmly talking about death with her mother and the deceased just happens to be named Rosie.

How did she know?

And even if she could have seen through my bag, the book description is on the inside cover flap.

How did she know?

I believe we may have a case of clairvoyance on our hands.


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But seriously, you guys should check out THE DISTANT ECHO. Great read. A story with a bit more substance than whodunit.

And serisouly, I'm not making up that little girl's quote....

 

No comments:

Post a Comment